This unique printed circuit board is manufactured using advanced laminate materials that are known for their high performance. It is prepared by using specially engineered resin components to fulfill the requirements of the high-functionality PCB. This type of PCB is commercially used in a wide range of electronic devices, like, aerospace equipment and premium consumer electronics. Isola is a global company that specializes in designing and manufacturing copper-clad laminates and dielectric prepregs for the process of fabrication of a multilayered PCB.
What is Isola PCB?
Isola PCB is a circuit board that is constructed using materials from the Isola company. Isola is a specialized company in the electronics industry. The Isola printed circuit boards are excellent in performance and reliability as compared to other PCBs due to the usage of innovative and high-performance materials and sophisticated manufacturing techniques. Isola PCBs are specially prepared for usage in a variety of applications, including high-speed telecommunications and industrial instrumentation.
Types of Materials Used in Isola PCB
Isola PCBs are constructed by using a variety of materials. These materials are listed below:
- In the PCB industry, the term “prepreg” means a dielectric material that provides electrical insulation and has other valuable properties. Prepreg is prepared by infusing fiberglass fabric with uniquely formulated resins.
- The resins used in the prepreg give special thermal, electrical, and physical characteristics to the prepreg material leading to enhanced performance of Isola PCBs.
Copper Clad Laminates
- Copper-clad laminates have a prepreg layer that is sandwiched between the two thin copper foil layers at each end.
- This lamination procedure entails subjecting one or more layers of copper and prepreg to elevated temperatures and applying pressure and vacuum conditions, to effectively bond them together.
Key Attributes of ISOLA PCBs
- Cutting-Edge Material Technology: ISOLA PCBs are prepared using advanced materials that are known for their outstanding electrical characteristics, thermal conduction features, and signal integrity.
- High-Speed Performance: The unique characteristics of ISOLA materials lead to the creation of high-speed PCBs that are capable of transmitting signals at very high speeds while minimizing signal loss.
- Enhancing Signal Consistency: ISOLA PCBs are specially designed to minimize the distortion of signals. They guarantee that the transmitted signals will maintain their signal consistency without compromise.
- Effective Heat Management: The high thermal conductivity of ISOLA materials plays a great role in heat dissipation, preventing component overheating and ensuring continuous and reliable operation.
- Dependability: ISOLA PCBs are prepared with a special focus on long-term reliability, making them ideal for applications where failure is not acceptable.
Constructing the Multilayer Isola PCB
- Prepreg and CCL play a vital role in the manufacturing of Isola PCBs.
- In the first stage, the copper surfaces of the laminate are chemically etched to form electronic circuits.
- To form a multilayered structure, etched laminates are combined by introducing one or more prepreg layers between each of them.
- After this procedure, plating and hole drilling procedures are carried out to establish electrical connections between the various layers of the PCB.
- The resulting Isola PCB serves as a highly dense interconnected device where semiconductors and other components can be mounted.
Features of the Isola Prepreg Materials
Here are the key features of Isola PCB materials:
- They maintain bond strength at high temperatures.
- They offer halogen-free alternatives.
- They have superior thermal management and resistance.
- They minimize delamination due to machining.
- They improve processing by reducing brittleness.
- They provide a long-lasting resin system.
What Laminate Materials are Utilized in Isola PCB
Some frequently used laminate materials that are used for creating Isola PCBs are listed below:
The DE104 material has high thermal resistance due to its low coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) and a unique resin system in the Z-axis. DE104 is further preferred due to its decomposition temperature of 315 degrees Celsius and a glass transition temperature of 135 degrees Celsius. At a temperature of 260 degrees, this material exhibits a delamination time of 12 minutes. It can be prepared by using standard parameters and is typically known as FR-4.
The Isola PCB laminate material, known as Isola Astra MT77, boasts impressive electrical characteristics. It sustains a consistent dielectric constant within the temperature span of -40 degrees Celsius to +140 degrees Celsius. Additionally, it exhibits remarkably low dissipation, measuring at a mere 0.0017. These attributes position it as a cost-efficient substitute for PTFE and other conventional microwave laminate materials frequently employed in Isola PCBs.
This Isola PCB laminate excels in performance, meeting industry standards for high-performance epoxy PCB materials. It is specifically designed to fulfill the demands of multilayer PCBs.It preserves the conventional FR-4 processing method during its production. FR406 has excellent chemical and thermal performance that ensures the best performance when used in isola PCBs.
It is made up of a tetra-functional epoxy resin that is specially designed for multilayer Isola PCB applications. It is used in those heavy devices that require a high-performance PCB. The FR402 formula was developed to increase the performance and efficiency of laser-based AOI (Automated Optical Inspection) devices. Furthermore, it shows exceptional resistance to both chemical and thermal degradation.
The ED130UV epoxy laminate meets the requirements for UV-blocking materials in PCB fabrication. These Isola PCB laminates use an epoxy resin base along with advanced epoxy resin face plies. These are high-functioning laminates. When used in Automated Optical Inspection, the ED130UV increases the UV fluorescence and blocking abilities.
The Isola material exhibits high-performance capabilities, boasting a temperature resistance of up to 230 degrees Celsius. It is an integral component of the FR-4 system, tailored to excel in multilayer PCB applications that necessitate superior thermal performance and reliability. Isola’s FR408HR laminate materials and prepreg are crafted from a multifunctional resin compound reinforced with E-glass fabric.
The examination of how materials behave under the influence of heat and pressure is known as Rheology. In this process, individuals examine a material’s viscosity in relation to temperature, heat application rate, applied shear, and various other factors. The conventional method used for describing the Rheology of PCB materials involves placing the material of interest between two parallel plates. In this setup, one of the plates moves parallel to the other leading to the deep examination of material behavior.
Material used for the Resin System of Isola PCB?
Isola PCB uses non-flow polyimide-based prepregs that are specially designed for PCB applications. It is used in those devices that involve high-temperature requirements. These are suitable for applications requiring higher performance. Isola PCB’s resin system gives the best performance as compared to the conventional thermoset polyimide resin structure.
Difference between Isola and Arlon PCB
Both Isola PCB and Arlon PCB are made up of microwave/RF materials. They provide the best electrical properties and frequency leading to enhanced communication systems. They are made up of high-performance prepregs and laminate materials with specific mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties. While both types of PCBs are suitable for high-performance applications, Isola PCB is better due to its excellent thermal performance, enhanced signal integrity, excellent processing, AOI fluorescence, and UV blocking capabilities.
Difference between Isola and Nelco PCB
Nelco PCB is the best as compared to Isola PCB due to its superior mechanical and thermal abilities. All Nelco PCB materials fulfill the RoHS standards and provide excellent CAF resistance and effective heat management, making them suitable for lead-free assembly. Furthermore, Nelco offers a variety of PCB materials in comparison to Isola PCB due to the following reasons:
- FR-4 substrates
- Epoxy materials for heavy applications
- Materials with high glass transition temperatures
- High-performance materials such as cyanate ester, BT, and polyimide.
Difference between Isola and Rogers PCB
Rogers PCB and Isola PCB are the same due to their ability to provide remarkable dimensional stability. They are specially used in a variety of dielectric multilayer PCBs. They are frequently used in heavy electronics, communication devices, and aerospace satellites. However, Isola PCB distinguishes itself by offering high thermal reliability due to the flame-retardant nature of its prepreg materials while various Rogers PCB materials are non-brominated, indicating that they do not have flame resistance properties.
Applications of Isola PCB
ISOLA PCB is a type of circuit board material that is known for its high performance and reliability. They are frequently employed in electronic devices that demand both excellent signal integrity and thermal performance. Here are some applications of ISOLA PCBs:
- Telecommunications: ISOLA PCBs are commonly used in telecommunications equipment. They are used in routers, switches, and base stations. Their high-frequency performance and low dielectric constant make them suitable for the enhanced transmission of signals.
- Aerospace and Defense: ISOLA PCBs are utilized in aerospace and defense scenarios, serving in radar systems, satellite communications, and avionics applications. They are preferred due to their high thermal resistance and environment-friendly features.
- Medical Devices: Medical devices require high signal integrity and performance. ISOLA PCBs are used in medical equipment. They are used in MRI machines, X-ray machines, and patient monitoring systems.
- Automotive: ISOLA PCBs are used in various automotive applications. They find application in engine control units, infotainment systems, advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), and components for electric vehicles. They are preferred due to their durability and resistance to temperature fluctuations
- Networking Equipment: ISOLA PCBs are used in networking equipment as well. They are used in routers, switches, and network servers. They help in maintaining signal integrity in high-speed data transmission. They ensure less data loss and reliable network performance.
- Consumer Electronics: Isola PCBs are used in high-end consumer electronics. They are used in high-performance gaming laptops and premium smartphones. They support high-speed data transfer and signal integrity in consumer electronics.
- Industrial Equipment: Isola PCBs are found in various industrial applications. They are employed in the fields of robotics, factory automation, and industrial control systems, favored for their resilience in challenging industrial settings.
- Power Electronics: Isola PCBs are used in power electronics applications to create reliable circuit boards for excellent performance. They are used in power inverters, motor drives, and power supplies. They are favored for their capability to handle high currents and voltages.
- Test and Measurement Equipment: Isola PCBs are used in the construction of test and measurement devices. They are favored for their ability to provide precise and accurate measurements.
- Data Centers: Data center servers and infrastructure often use Isola PCBs. These PCBs are preferred due to their high-speed data transfer capabilities and heat management.
- Wireless Communication Systems: Isola PCBs are used in wireless communication systems. They are used in base station transceivers and antennas. They are favored for their outstanding high-frequency performance.
- Consumer Networking Equipment: Isola PCBs are used in high-end consumer networking equipment. They are used in Wi-Fi routers and network switches to provide quick data transfer rates and better signal quality.
Isola PCBs are the most important part of the advanced technology of today. They possess exceptional qualities that are necessary for the functioning of the most challenging applications. They have the capability of performing high-speed operations, increased frequency and signals, and excellent heat dissipation and management. They are preferred at the industrial level at large, spanning from telecommunications and aerospace to automotive and medical devices.
What is Isola PCB used for?
Isola’s laminate materials are prepared to fulfill the growing requirements of emerging applications. They are used in high-speed digital electronics, RF/microwave technology, and high-frequency analog circuits.
How Isola is linked to PCB?
Isola is a worldwide company specializing in the field of creating and producing copper-clad laminates and dielectric prepregs. Since its establishment in 1912, Isola has produced exceptional high-quality materials that lead to the creation of the best high-functioning PCBs.
What does Isola manufacture?
Isola is famous for producing laminate and prepreg materials. These materials are highly valued in the field of technology.
Ready to bring your PCB designs to life?
Contact MorePCB today and experience top-quality manufacturing,
quick turnaround times, and exceptional customer service.
Contact us to request a quote and start your next project!